Pages

Monday 20 February 2012

Unemployment and free labour

In my previous rant/blog I posted about the job centre wanting people to work full time jobs for free - if you haven't read this article you can read it here.
I sat on the train on Friday evening heading up North like I do most weekends and I sat and read the Metro. I came across a great article which proved my point exactly.

My previous blog about unemployment and working for free was really just showing an argument between myself and some moron who didn't have a clue what he was talking about. I can understand different views but this I really feel strongly about.

The story I read as about Tesco, a big corporate store that is known nationwide. This food store (which now sells everything from clothes to computers) was advertising for full time workers to work the night shift for no more money than benefits. The advert stated the employee would only get travel and child care expenses paid.
In case you cannot see the picture clear enough here is a written version of the brief article.

'Tesco has been attackedo n Twitter after advertising for a permanent night worker to be paid expenses on top of their Jobseeker's Allowance.
The supermarket giant was criticised on the day it was revealed British unemployment rose to 2.67 million in the three months to December.
One tweet read: 'I will not buy another item from you until you abandon workfare slavery'.
Tesco's Facebook page was flooded with comments, such as 'Don't expect free labour from the taxpayer, you leeches'.
Tesco claimed the Jobcentre Plus post was 'a mistake caused by an IT error'.
David Nieberg, a spokesman for the supermarket, said the advert was for an intern and part of the government's 'work-for-your benefits' programme that sees Jobcentre Plus match 18 to 24 year olds to companies to help them find jobs.
Joanna Long, Boycott Workfare spokeswoman, said: 'What the DWP calls work experience is forced unpaid labour.'
In August, Tesco admitted to hiring 3,000 jobseekers. 'So far, 300 young people have gone on to get permanent employment,' added Mr Nieberg.

So if Tesco are doing this, advertising positions like the night worker one then how many other companies are doing the same, taking advantage of the unemployed and of the government? Tesco was caught out this time but how many of the 3000 that they have hired have been employed this way through the 'work-for-your benefits' programme?

We should not allow this to go on, and we should not stand for the abuse of the unemployed. I myself am not unemployed but I could be. I was made redundant but found a job straight away so I'm lucky, but these people who have lost jobs etc. should not be made to work for nothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment